HISTORY OF THE FOX ISLAND FIRE DEPARTMENT
From all indications the year of 1956 had the appearance of being very dry and
dangerous so on May 17, 1956, Fire District No. 5 loaned a surplus 1941 Ford pumper to Fox
Island. The truck was housed at the old store at the ferry landing, which was then
owned and operated by Wayne Peterson and Gail McAfee.
Eight years later the voters elected to become a part of Pierce County Fire Protection
District Number 5. By 1977 new equipment made additional space a necessity and
construction was started on the fire station at Ninth Ave. and Kamus Drive. Living
quarters were included in the construction allowing for a resident volunteer firefighter
to maintain the equipment and facility. In 1989 the resident quarters were moved to
a mobile home adjacent to the station and the interior of the station was remodeled to
allow full use of the meeting rooms.
Volunteer firefighters respond to both fire and medical emergencies at any time of day
and night. They dedicate one evening each week training with the equipment and learning
the latest techniques for preserving life and property.
Our first volunteer firefighters were Cecil Fassett, Harvey Powers, Thane Eckler,
Capt. Ward Hunt, and Gail McAfee. Many dedicated people have contributed
their time and talents over the years.